Sunday, June 7, 2009

Week 1 in ZAMBIA!!!

We have heard from Katie!!

It was awesome to talk with her.

It has been difficult to communicate by computer because there have been major power outages where the team is staying. They have been in-country for 8 days now, and the power has been off most of that time. It came on for 2-hours once, then came back on yesterday.

The good news: Katie & the team are doing well!! (Not that we expected otherwise).


Team Picture taken just before they left Dallas for Zambia.



She has also been keeping notes… writing as the week has gone by. We will be posting those notes as we get them from her. (We took these notes down as she read to us over Skype)

Read and enjoy these first entries:


COMING HOME




The second I got off the plane I could smell Africa!! It brought back memories of last summer… it instantly brought to mind why I had come back… The orphans, the need, the tug on my heart that I needed to be part of the solution. I was also caught up with a sense of community and belonging. The same feeling I felt last year. The feeling I now had again, since I had come back. This all hit me in an instant when the smell washed over me: I said to myself, “I’m home!”



All my feelings grew even stronger when I went into the customs/immigration area. “Mama,” one of our Zambian EOH (Every Orphan’s Hope) leaders remembered me. It just felt so great to be back. I know I belong here.


CHURCH IN ZAMBIA

We went to church the day the team got here. We went to Chyaeen, Mama & Marta’s church. We walked in and everyone was dancing and jumping around. It was awesome. I was standing there worshipping and praying… and, I looked around.



I was overwhelmed with the thought that people of all different kinds and languages were worshipping the Lord all over the world… at the same time. I couldn’t help wondering why… there is such a difference between the church in Zambia and the church in the USA. And it hit me… the people in Zambia are going to WORSHIP and GIVE to God. Where often in the U.S. we go to church to RECEIVE from God… to get OUR needs met. I need to keep this thought in my mind. I need to remember it… always.

SICKNESS & REALITY:



One day last week our team went to the Chawama Compound (a permanent squatter camp). We were doing orphan updates to send back to the people who are sponsoring the orphans here. At one point more than 200 kids surrounded us as we were walking thru the compound. Us white kids really stuck out. Then all of a sudden they started shouting out “OLD MAN!” “OLD MAN!” The kids started running away from us… screaming. Then we see this old man… he could barely walk… he suffered from AIDS. The “mamas” were calling him names and throwing things at him. They really seemed to be upset at him. Then we saw a mentally ill man… he tore his shirt off and threw a water jug at the old man. It hit him in the arm. It really hurt him. He had to sit down. Then the mentally ill threatened to start beating the old man. But, two other guys came over stopped it all. The old man was able to walk away. Some of the kids came back to us afterward. We asked them why did you do that?? They said because he was old and sick. We told them that Jesus wouldn’t do that. That’s not how to treat people who are old and sick. They seemed to be listening to us…. We’ll see.




That was kind of a major event that day… but we did visit several orphans through out the day… and got updates on how they were doing.

Orphans:



Some of the people we (Every Orphan’s Hope) are working with here are called: OVCC’s (Orphan Victorious in Christ Contact). They are Zambians who bring the items that come from sponsorship to each of the orphans. It’s really amazing to see the OVCC’s servant hearts. Many times it takes them 1 full day to go see one of the orphans. They have to travel to deliver food, encourage them, and be part of their lives. Sometimes the OVCC’s have to ride a bike for several hours to see just one of the orphans. Often times the OVCC’s have jobs and don’t have food for their own tables. Yet they sacrifice so much to LOVE these orphans.

Keep checking in… things are happening quickly… and there is so much to tell.
I’ll do my best to keep up.




NOTE: (from Doug & Gail)… we talked to Katie for a bit today and Saturday. The team is doing very well. They are staying on the outskirts of Lusaka and traveling to orphanages, and squatter camps every day. Katie seemed to think the accommodations were much nicer than she expected. They are however, having some health issues. Nothing too major… upset stomachs, allergies, and Katie has had some recurrent nose-bleeds. Please keep the team in your prayers.

NOTE: Most of these photos are courtesy of Michael Mistretta from the 2008 Zambia trip.
(Great photog huh!!?)

No comments: